Unfortunately there was no more wind over the weekend down in Gruissan for Defi Wind 2011, so the winners of Friday’s racing have been named event winners. Steve Palier reports, pictures by Jean Souville…
DEFI WIND 2011 HIGHLIGHTS
- Great comeback from former competitor Laurent Gaüzère on this Defi Wind. Leader of the pack at the first mark, he unfortunately falls. Bieuzy Mauffret passes through and then fight with Patrick Diethelm who finally take the first place at just 100m from the finish line!
- Patrick Diethelm was not registered on the Defi. He was part of the PWA event in Costa Brava that was happening in the same time. At the last minute, the Italian finally came to Gruissan to join the 850 competitors and feel the atmosphere of the event. Great idea as he took the honours! He’ll come back, he said.
- ‘Girl Power!’: girls were honoured on this 11th Defi Wind. Pro Karin Jaggi, ranked 79°, got the 1st place in the women category but the big surprise comes from Marion Dusart, ranked 82° ahead of Sarah Hebert, 120°. Great performance from Young Alizée De Souza, 16, as she reaches the 1st place in the « Young » category thanks to a nice 141° place, ahead of Delphine Cousin (142°).
- Youths were numerous on this 11th edition. More than 100 participants full of motivation and present on all animations and contests. Ranked 8th overall, Thomas Goyard is the young rider to watch among this new generation. He got 1st in the « Young » category ahead of Steve Laubaney, and 3rd in the « Amateur » category.
- The « Movies Festival » impressed again with a great video program, radical images and with the présence of stars like Jason Polakow and Levi Siver but also Sylvain Demercastel, Julien Taboulet and Leo Ray. The best amateur reward went to Olivier Martin, whose « home made » funny movie delighted the public.
- With a dozen of local music bands playing live on the beach every afternoon, the nights were definitely really hot as groups like ‘Las Vegas Wedding’, ‘Trafiko’ and ‘Nasser’ entered the scene!
PORTRAIT of the DAY
Clement Marchand, addicted Grandpa !
We could catch him up as he was already on the way back. We did not want to miss an interview with him, the oldest competitor of the Defi ! Clement is 76. Since 3 years now, he comes from Troyes in France to be part of the Defi Wind : “I like the event because it is an unusual, competition. I like to race with other 1000 riders and see if I can still hold on my old legs for 40km ! I reached the 424th place this year and last year 544th, so I’m in progress. But it was difficult as the wind was gusty and the last run very upwind. » And as we tell him that we are about to interview the youngest local, he answers : “hey, there is a Young, he did not finish his race. I did it all!” We wish to meet him gain next year : “yes, but this I cannot decide, especially since I met this year another 70 years grandpa on the Defi. He could be the next oldest competitor!”
As we were cruising on the beach, we passed by the stand of LOFT SAILS where all the 2011 sail range was on test and exhibition. MYSTIC was showing a new harness, the “Boa”, with ultra precise adjusting. Also on test, the PATRICK BOARDS 2011 range now available in the best surfshops in France.
- Once again, 2 groups rocked the beach yesterday night. 1st part was Trafiko who played a cool latino sound, before the public started to get really hot with the great electro sound of Nasser.
- Local association GFR organized a draw lot with a Neil Pryde sail, a Soöruz wetsuit and an Exocet board to win ! More infos on www.gruissan-funboard-riders.fr
- After its ‘chic’n’choc’ parade yesterday night, Soöruz awarded the winner of its ‘crazy’ photo contest. Caroline Landelle went back home with lots of goodies from the brand, partner of the Defi Wind since the start. You can discover the photo on www.sooruz.com within the next days.
- With a good ranking on the water and very active during the parties, Bieuzy Mauffret and Sarah Hebert are the winners of the ‘Night & Day’ trophy.
- Kevin Oma-Otu wins a trip to Turkey offered by Nico Warembourg’s sponsor, Ultra Marina. Girl from New Caledonia, Sarah Delaunay, wins a VIP pass for the next édition of the Dakhla Festival in February 2012 while Sebastien Bonhomme Allaire got invited on the final of the « Wind & Snow » trophy in Chamrousse, in January 2012.
DEFI WIND 2011 ROOKIES
Thanks to an idea from Naish France, the organisation decided to reward this year the new entrants on the Defi Wind 2011. Among the 300 new challengers, the first 3 of the women and men catégories came back home with cool goodies from the partners.
« Rookies » Men
1/ Andrea Ferin (Italie)
2/ Arnaud Konow (France)
3/ Alain De Gendt (Belgique)
« Rookies » Women
1/ Sarah Delaunay (Nouvelle Calédonie)
2/ Marie Guilbert (France)
3/ Gaella Cano (France)
DEFI WIND 2011 RESULTS
1/ Patrick Diethelm (Italie)
2/ Bieuzy Mauffret (France)
3/ Laurent Gaüzère (Nouvelle Calédonie)
1/ Karin Jaggi (Suisse) 79ème
2/ Marion Dusart (France) 82ème
3/ Sarah Hébert (Arménie) 120ème
1/ Sebastien Bonhomme-Allaire
2/ Antoine Huet
3/ Thomas Goyard
1/ Marion Dusart
2/ Alizée De Souza
3/ Emilie Lallement
1/ Michel Merceur
2/ Moana Guyot
3/ Jean Louis Tay
1/ Nadine Poncept
2/ Moeata Boosie
3/ Anne Louvet
1/ Thomas Goyard
2/ Steve Laubaney
3/ Gauthier Bourgeois
1/ Alizée de Souza
2/ Delphine Cousin
3/ Marion Mortefon