25/09/2013 | 1 comments
Windsurfing is FULL of incredible and inspirational riders, way too many to mention or even think of, but we’ve put our heads together in the Boards office and come up with a list of who’s inspired us the most.
Do you agree, or disagree? VOTE for your favourite at the bottom, or if you think we’ve missed off a true hero let us know who in the comments below…
1. Robby Naish. Yeah we know, predictable. BUT Naish was without a doubt the man in windsurfing for a very long time, but now that he seems to spend more time kitesurfing does he still deserve your vote?
2. Bjorn Dunkerbeck. Dunks took over from where Naish left off and asserted his dominance over many windsurfing disciplines. Still at the top of the game in slalom, does Dunks still inspire you?
3. Robert Teriitehau. The crazy french man jumped off of massive boats and out of indoor windsurfing pools, nobody would ever accuse him of holding back and for that simple reason he has inspired many of the current top riders. But did he inspire you?
4. Josh Stone. Staying a little old school Josh was probably one of the coolest riders back in the day, the Maui boy living the dream. Josh continues to sail, now with his son Harley who clearly has windsurfing in his blood.
5. Francisco Goya. Again, one of the coolest and most chilled windsurfers around. Francisco event moves, perfected the double before Koster even stepped on a board and then went on to set up one of the most successful windsurfing brands around.
6. Nik Baker. The UK’s own hero. Baker left sunny Shoreham for the PWA tour in the 90′s, then becoming one of the most successful exports ever. Now back in the UK and giving back to the sport, Nik’s not only a highly talented sailor but a damn nice guy too.
7. Robby Swift. Staying in the UK, Swift has perhaps taken over where Baker left off. Whilst there are A LOT of incredible UK riders now on the PWA tour, is Swift the most successful to date?
8. Philip Koster. We can’t not mention THE man of the moment, Philip Koster and his absolute domination of the PWA wave tour. Insane levels of control, dedication and a slightly competitive streak have no doubt taken Koster to the level that we see today.
9. Gollito Estredo. The current king of freestyle, Gollito has invented and progressed more moves than you can shake a stick at, or even name. His level continues to rise, but more importantly he’ll be in the UK this weekend for NWF!
10. Antoine Albeau. A2, the fastest man on a windsurfer, ever. Enough said.
Other. As we said, there are WAY too many inspirational windsurfers to name all of them, have we missed your hero? Let us know in the comments below!