Windsurfing is an amazing sport that we all love for very different reasons. It could be the freedom, the challenge, the fitness, travel or friendships made.
Here at Boards we have decided to catch up with a variety of windsurfers to find out why they windsurf, starting with Sarah Bibby.
Why I Windsurf
- Sarah Bibby - Why I Windsurf
- Nik Baker - Why I Windsurf
Because windsurfing gives you the best feeling, whether it be speed, airtime, landing tricks or riding waves, there is no feeling like it. You are the integral join between your board and sail, riding an ever changing sea, battling the elements, floating in the sky and chasing the dream wave. It is a combination of gymnastic moves and surfing, requiring strength and agility, there is no sport quite like it!
2. Living in the UK, it is great to look forward to storms and make the most of the weather when most people are sat inside moaning about the wind and the rain. It becomes a challenge and a huge reward to sail in stormy conditions, and reward yourself in the pub afterwards!
3. Windsurfing has allowed me to travel the world to destinations I wouldn’t have dreamed of going to. It has influenced my life greatly, like most other windsurfers I suspect!
4. It is also the most frustrating but rewarding sports I know. This keeps me hooked and there is a continuous learning curve, you never stop!
5. Lastly, friends and camaraderie. I have met so many amazing people through windsurfing, due to the size of the sport and the dedication it takes, it is the friendliest sport I have ever done and you never fail to meet someone you know at the beach!